Being a Data Engineer II at GMT
We are looking for a talented and passionate Data Engineer II to lead in the design and implementation of optimized, highly-available data collection systems and data processing pipelines to facilitate deeper analytical and reporting capabilities. Data Engineers are responsible for building and implementing data processing frameworks that handle dynamic business requirements as data resources grow. As a Data Engineer, you will work with senior developers and data architects as well as analytics teams to identify new ways our data can be leveraged. The Data Engineer strives to continuously develop new and improved data engineering capabilities that can be used throughout the organization.
The Data Engineer is an expert in the development and deployment of innovative big data platforms further providing support to data and analytics teams in database design, data flow, and analysis activities. They design and lead the development of data pipelines that will enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making within the business. Data Engineers work with software engineers, data scientists, and data analytics teams in order to understand business needs and define the organization’s data requirements to ensure optimal quality and performance. They will work closely with data architects to provide expertise for understanding data sources, informing design decisions, selecting appropriate database technologies, and enforcing data modeling best practices.
Data Engineers are expected to possess a level of professional maturity and expertise that enables them to provide direction in how our data resources are managed. They are responsible for the continuous improvement of data platforms based on observations and well-researched knowledge. They must stay current with industry best practices and trends and take advantage of process and system improvement opportunities through acquired knowledge. As respected domain experts, they serve as mentors for entry-level data engineers and oversee their activities in accordance with the business vision and objectives.
Green Mountain Technology partners with the largest parcel shippers to plan, execute, and monitor complex shipping networks. Through the transformation of data into actionable information and intuitive solutions, we enable the creation of high-performing networks that optimize customer experience and profitability. If you are looking for an opportunity to apply your knowledge and abilities drive the creation of innovative data solutions to solve real-world problems for some of the largest companies in the world, this is the job for you!
So, what's the GMT culture?
GMT was founded by a group of entrepreneurs committed to creating substantial financial outcomes for clients, transforming audits through technology and hiring the most talented, dedicated employees. We love to innovate and put ideas into action quickly.
We live our values each day - they are the foundation of who we are. If integrity, excellence, and customer-focused describe you, you're the right person for the job.
What skills do you need?
- BS in Data Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or technology related field
- 4+ years of proven working experience in a data engineering or similar role
- Proficiency in working with relational as well as NoSQL database technologies, methods, and approaches
- Proven track record in scaling and optimizing schemas, performance tuning SQL and ETL pipelines in OLAP and Data Warehouse environments
- Strong working and conceptual knowledge of building and maintaining physical and logical data models
- Experience working with modern programming language such as C#, Python, or similar
- Expertise in system management practices in relation to monitoring, disaster recovery, backup, automated testing, automated schema migration, and continuous deployment
- Familiar with data governance frameworks, SDLC, and Agile methodology
- Passionate about supporting the development of junior-level developers
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Creative approach to problem solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view
- Ability to work effectively with people at every level of the organization
- Excellent time-management skills and flexibility to react appropriately to change
- MS in Data Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or technology related field
- Experience working with Tableau and creating data extracts using Tableau’s backend data technologies
- Strong leadership tendencies and skilled at coaching others regardless of knowledge level
- Experience working in shipping, supply chain, or logistics industries
- Experience using project management and collaboration tools such as Jira, Confluence, and MS Teams
What will you be doing?
- Oversee and mentor the activities of entry-level data engineers aligned with business objectives and enforce best practices
- Partner with business domain experts, data analysts, and engineering teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and customer SLAs, and enable self-service
- Provide expertise in researching new data technologies and supporting adoption of selected technologies
- Support innovation through exploration, benchmarking, making recommendations, and implementing big data technologies for platforms
- Be a champion for best practices related to data governance, data security, data quality, and data retention to satisfy business and customer requirements
- Provide expertise to development and data analytics teams for selecting appropriate database technologies and data modeling approaches for meeting technical and business needs
- Own and document database technologies and standards to support organizational needs
- Design and develop scalable ETL packages from the business source systems and develop production ETL routines in order to populate databases from sources and create aggregates
- Proactively analyze and evaluate production databases in order to identify and recommend improvements and optimization opportunities
We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace diversity at GMT. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Learn more about our award winning culture and team.